Monday 9 March 2009

Trumpets and thunder, then bring on the rain

Terrified, if I am absolutely honest. That's how I felt at the prospect of riding up along the thousands of petrol guzzling motors - boucing buses, rushing taxis and the general public that would just see me as a piece of lycra'd meat in their way.

I was cautiously led out by my mentor (one very patient bfriend, Ben) and then it happened. We slipped onto the road inbetween the traffic and it felt amazing.

I realise this is my reputation at stake - but it almost felt exhilerating - ok ok, it did feel exhilerating. I've said it. It felt wild, and I was only in Crouch End village by this point.

We made our way through North London and I realised my real challenge was remembering the route. Not blessed with any sense of direction - this will be the tricky part for me.

The good news - my moderate training schedule in the gym had helped - of our 2 hour cycle I felt very little pain.

And that was with the onset of strong wind, pouring rain and THUNDER on our return route from the London Eye.

We arrived home, trainers filled with water and legs stinging from the cold. A big lunch and a hot shower later and I felt pretty smug.

Success - my first vistory post.

4 comments:

  1. I take it that this was just a 'warm up' (if that term can be used when one is battling sub zero Crouch End)?

    From all lawyers everywhere, we salute you crazy cycle lady, and no, we will not sponsor you (although we will laugh as we pass by you in our rented porsches, which we can no longer make the payments on so looking to squeeze our two ounces of fun from them before we turn them in).

    PS Fully aware that your training schedule means that soon you will be able to kick my ass, so if you want me to sponsor you I will. Just don't hurt me. Or my Prada suit. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD. I just read your bio. You hate me don't you???? You bloody hate me! How many times do I have to tell you - IT WAS NERVOUS LAUGHTER.

    Oh, I'm so hurt, you are always looking to villify me in the most evil of ways. Oh, how could we be related? I didn't snort at you when you got lost just one mile away from our mother's new house, did I? DID I????????

    Hmpf. BIG sulk happening *right here*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam,
    I'm doing the Etape this year too! The Macmillan team has been awesome in supporting my dad this year, so I'm looking forward to giving something back in the way of hideous punishment along 80 miles of Scottish roads... in lycra... It's going to be great!
    How's the training going?
    H x

    ReplyDelete